★ Avoid ★★ No Great Loss ★★★ Worth Reading ★★★★ Close to Masterpiece ★★★★★ Masterpiece
Name: The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
Genre: Fiction Language: English Pages: 247
My Rating: ★★★★
Started(Read): 12th August, 2018 Completed: 19th August, 2018
Total Reading Hour: 25 Hrs
Excerpt From Book:
It’s not the journey the counts, but who is at your side.
Nana is on a road trip, but he is not sure where to. All that matters is that he can sit beside his beloved Satoru in the front of his silver van. Satoru is keen to visit three old friends from his youth, though Nana doesn’t know why and Satoru won’t say.
Set Against the backdrop of Japan’s changing seasons and narrated with a rare gentleness and striking humor, Nana’s story explores the wonder and thrill of life’s unexpected detours. It is about friendship, solitude, and knowing when to give and when to take. Above all, it shows how acts of love, both great and small, can transform our lives.
Page Turner and Fascinating
This is a story from the perspective of Protagonist, Nana – A Stray Cat. He is taken in by a cat lover young man Satoru after being hit by a car. He got “Nana” name from “Na” – Seven number in Japanese – the shape of his tail.
Story starts with “The Cat with No Name”. It showcase how Satoru and Nana met and How Nana got this name. Their love grows as time flies and became roommates who understands each other. After five years, Satoru decides to visit his friends with Nana as he can’t stay with Nana any more and their road trip starts.
“The Husband without a Wife” – This is a beautiful tale of Satoru and his childhood friend Kasoku when he was in elementary school. Satoru and Kasoku found a cat and named him “hachi” – number eight in Japanese. Both loved hachi immensely and something bad happened in Satoru’s life which parted them away from each other as well as from hachi.
“The Unsentimental Farmer” – Here is a tale of Satoru and Yoshimine friendship. Satoru spent so much time with Yoshimine and his grand mother. They both had something common – something bad happened at-least in Yoshimine’s eye. When they were in school trip, then Yoshimine found about hachi and Satoru’s devotion towards hachi.
Young Yoshimine is not a cat person but he brought stray cat to house and named him “Chatran”. Nana teaches Chatran to become real cat. I loved the way Nana looked into different situations when 2 humans talk to each other and shares his view on their behavior.
“Sugi and Chikako’s hotel for Pets” – Each chapter is a new journey for Nana. From Nana’s perspective, he is lucky to see all these new places because a cat hardly see all these new places and meet so many people in single lifetime. Sugi and Chikako having their bed and breakfast hotel near Mount Fuji. They started this hotel 3 years back out of their love for dog and cat. Sugi is more of dog person and Chikako is more of cat person, so it was obvious Chikako and Satoru went well together in first year of high school. This tale having wonderful story of 3 friends and their pets, Momo (cat), Toramaru (dog) and Nana.
“Between Friends” – This is ship journey of Nana and Satoru. Best part of story is Nana’s conversation with other cats and dogs in Pet room. This is a long journey through Ship and their road journey from Mount Fuji to Satoru’s aunt place. At end of this tale, I grew my fondness towards Nana. It’s not only Satoru’s love towards to Nana, but it’s now Nana’s love towards Satoru. Author succeed to showcase animal love towards human and their behavior pattern.
“How Noriko loved to learn” – Noriko, Satoru’s aunt never been cat person. She doesn’t know how to handle cats. As time flies, Noriko becomes part of Nana and at some point, Noriko also bring stray cat at home.
Some beautiful quotes from the book:
- If you have to consider what’s going to happen after you die, life becomes doubly troublesome.
- If you don’t mourn a dead cat properly, you’ll never get over it.
- Among cats, when a female chooses a mate, it’s a very clear-cut thing. Not just among cats, but with all animals, the female’s judgement about love is absolute.
- A stray cat’s skill lies in building up a complex web of connections in order to survive on the streets.
- Most animals are multilingual when it comes to listening, but reading is beyond us. Reading and writing seem to belong to a special linguistic system that only humans possess.
- Humans who think we don’t understand them are the stupid ones.
- Humans always underestimate our language skills. Just ’cause they can read and write, there’s no need to act all high and mighty.
- Cats the world over prefer to discover things they like on their own and rarely go for anything that’s been provided for them.
I loved this book a lot. It’s page turner. This novel having different perspective. From very first chapter, I was connected with Nana and Satoru. At one moment I realised, Author showcase Satoru as full of optimism even in worst case scenario. He always gave love to all his friends and aunt without any expectation and yet he was happy. As they say, you may have thousand reasons to be unhappy but you need one reason to be happy. Satoru always found reason to be happy. In last chapter, the way author depicted Nana’s love towards Satoru, despite of every possible bad situation, melt my heart. I recommend this to every one. If you are not an animal lover, you may end-up adopting cat.
[Source: Wiki] Hiro Arikawa (有川 浩 Arikawa Hiro, born June 9, 1972) is a female Japanese light novelist from Kōchi, Japan. Hiro Arikawa won the tenth annual Dengeki Novel Prize for new writers for Shio no Machi: Wish on My Precious in 2003, and the book was published the following year. More on wiki.
You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul. – Swami Vivekanand
First an apology to all my dear readers that I am writing after long time. Also, An apology to TheYAPage because my fellow blogger nominated me 1 year back and I am replying now. Thank you so much! I really like “TheYAPage”, It’s really an amazing blog. I’m glad you enjoy my blog.
What is Liebster Award: The Liebster award is designed for new blogs like myself. The main purpose is to discover new blogs and give them a speaking platform to get to know the bloggers better.
Rule for The Liebster award is as very simple as below
- Post 11 random facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions the awarding blogger has posted for you
- Nominate 11 bloggers (with less than 200 followers) for the award and link them in your post
- Let the bloggers you have nominated know they are nominated
- No tag backs
Here are 11 random facts about myself:
- I am addicted to coffee, specifically Caffè latte.
- I am love Marvel movie but I am hardcore DC lover.
- I am Barcelona follower.
- Even after reading so many books from so many authors, I still love Haruki Murakami and still “Kafka on The Shore” is my most favorite book in the fiction genre.
- I love to sleep and I can sleep anywhere – anytime
- Being an Indian, I don’t like Cricket and I also don’t know, how to play it.
- I love rain so much. I love to feel rain pouring on me.
- I like the smell of new book. Whenever I buy any book, the first thing I smell it. I like to re-read books from my closet
- “Lost” is my favorite TV Series follow by “Dexter”
- I don’t like facebook much. Though I have facebook account, but I hardly access it
- I love to try different cuisine and love Mexican most.
“TheYAPage” asked 11 questions to all nominees and here are my answers:
- Why did you start blogging? – I have started blog first time 2007 because everyone surrounding me were writing blog and I lost interest. From 2007 to 2009, I read many books and friends/colleagues were asking about those books, so finally in 2009, I started blog again with book review.
- Do you have any other blogs/booktube channels/bookstagram accounts and if so what are they? – Nope, Ujval’s Lounge is the blog where you can connect me.
- What is your favorite thing to do besides reading? – Sleeping.. Really, Not kidding.. True. I love to sleep. If I am not reading book or not engage in social activity or not watching TV series, I must be sleeping on couch.
- Who is your favorite blogger/booktuber/bookstagrammer and why? – The Wanderer’s Thought is my most favorite blogger. I am following her since last 6-7 years. Her blog always motivated me to write something new. Whenever I feel sad or down, I visit her blog and it feels me with energy.
- Where do you buy your books? – Crossword. I visit their store time to time, check new arrivals, check classic novel collection and buy books.
- Eating while reading, do or don’t? – No. One single act at a time.
- What are your pet peeves? – Book with weak story and cover mentioning it’s best seller.
- What is your favorite book/series? – Kafka On the Shore following by The Girl with Dragon Tattoo.
- Is there a book-to-movie adaptation that you liked better than the original? Why? – Nope. I love to watch book-to-movie adaption but always find books are better than movies.
- When you ask your best friend about the weirdest/funniest thing about you, what would they answer? – They would laugh first and then they will start thinking..
- Who is your favorite person in the world? – My Younger Brother
Here, My nominations for the Liebster award!
- The Wanderer’s Thoughts…
- Coco Ginger
- Divine Rhythm
- A Well Read Woman
- Book Journey
- THE WORLD THROUGH MY EYES…
- Prima Virani
- WANDERER WORDWEAVER WOMAN
- Nirav Says
- A PLATFORM OF SORTS
- Travel With Archie
Thanks TheYAPAge for nominating me. To all of you who I nominated, You all are doing an amazing job. Please keep continue doing it and spread happiness.
!! Happy Blogging !!