After “Kite Runner” and “Who moved my cheese?” I have completed more 2 books “Angels and Demons” written by Dan Brown and “The Thousand Splendid Suns” written by Khaled Hosseini but didn’t get time to write about my view on same.
One of my friends, Tina, commented on “The Kite Runner” post that if you enjoyed this book you will definitely love “A thousand splendid suns” and she was right. “A Thousand Splendid Suns” is marvelous book. Someone told that “You can’t avoid pain…you can only deal with it! In some cases, you have to learn to deal with it first!” and same as Kite Runner, Khaled deals with Pain in “A Thousand Splendid Suns”. This book also contains lots of dark part and really great material for literature student.
Like Kite Runner focused on relationship between Father and Son, friendship between Man, “A Thousand Splendid Sun” focuses on relationship between Mother and Daughter, Friendship between Woman. Author described situation of Woman from Afghanistan at the time of Russian rule to Taliban rule to Free Afghanistan.
The novel is divided into four parts. The first part focuses exclusively on Mariam, the second and fourth parts focus on Laila, and the third part switches focus between Mariam and Laila with each chapter. Novel starts with Mariam’s life with her mother, Nana – who used to be a servant in Jalil’s house and had an affair with him, and his father, Jalil – wealthy man who had three wives before he had an affair with Nana. After death of Nana, Jalil forced to Mariam for marriage and arranged her marriage with Rasheed, an ethnic Pashtu guy. Novels moves life of all characters as ruling of Afghanistan changed from Russian to Taliban. In those Periods, Rasheed again marry to Laila, an ethnic Tajik beautiful girl. Laila’s life becomes tied to life of Mariam when she marries Rasheed as his second wife. Author gradually developed friendship between Mariam and Laila.
Some part of book:
- One could not count the moons that shimmer on her roofs,or the thousand splendid suns that hide behind her walls
- A society has no chance of success if its women are uneducated…
- Behind every trial and sorrow that He makes us shoulder, God has a reason.
- Marriage can wait, education cannot.
- A man’s heart is a wretched, wretched thing. It isn’t like a mother’s womb. It won’t bleed. It won’t stretch to make room for you.
- Of all the hardships a person had to face, none was more punishing than the simple act of waiting.
- Perhaps this is just punishment for those who have been heartless, to understand only when nothing can be undone.
- And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and its accomplice, hope, a treacherous illusion. And whenever those twin poisonous flowers began to sprout in the parched land of that field, Mariam uprooted them.
- Like a compass needle that points north, a man’s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.
- And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and its accomplice, hope, a treacherous illusion.
As per me, this book is perfect material for literature student. I am giving 4/5 to this back.
Name: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Author: Khaled Hosseini
About Book: By Author
!!! Enjoy Reading !!!